Scratch

Subject: Digital Technologies

YearLevel: 5-6

Links to other Learning Areas: Literacy, Numeracy, The Arts, HASS and Science

Links to Cross Curricular Priorities/ General Capabilities: Numeracy, Critical and Creative Thinking, ICT.

Platform: Desktop/Laptop

Cost: Free

ACARALinks:

• Design, modify and follow simple algorithms involving sequences of steps, branching, and iteration (repetition) (ACTDIP019)
  • Implement digital solutions as simple visual programs involving branchingiteration (repetition), and user input(ACTDIP020)
  • Acquire, store and validate different types of data, and use a range of software to interpret and visualise data to create information (ACTDIP016)
  • Examine the main components of common digital systems and how they may connect together to form networks to transmit data(ACTDIK014)

What is it?

Scratch is a Coding program that can be used in the classroom, to teach the basics of coding computers, however can also progress into more difficult coding projects as well. Scratch can be used by students with varied levels of capabilities, and is a fantastic tool to use in a peer teaching situation.

How is it used?

The program is both an online program accessed through Google Chrome (or FireFox) and can also be downloaded as a program onto any Desktop/Laptop computer. Students learn to create codes to animate backgrounds, images and characters. The online version is fantastic, as it has tutorials for students (and teachers) of different levels of ability. The tutorials go through step-by-step processes in order to achieve the set out goal. The program allows users to create stories, games and animations. Scratch can be used as a platform for students to present assignments as well as create interactive quizzes and games to be shared with peers.

Skills developed 

Practicing using code

Problem solving skills

Learning the language of code

Software knowledge

Accessing Scratch 

https://scratch.mit.edu

The image to the right is an example of how students develop of code in order to create an animation.

5 thoughts on “Scratch

1. Hi Kelsey-

This is a great app! It’s used so often in schools now, seeing they have such a huge focus on coding in the curriculum now. The kids find it really easy to use but I needed to take a few afternoon and do it by myself before I got the hang of it. It’s really handy because you can have students working in groups or individually on their own projects. I actually found this was a great app to use with students who may have an EALD background, since it has the ability for them to work in their own language.

I did find it tricky that children under 13 have to have an email when they use this program which did make it difficult if the school hadn’t set it up for me (had this problem on my third year prac!)

2. I really like how this post is structured with clear links to curriculum and easy access of information such as “What is it”, “how is it used?” and “skills developed”. I find there is just enough text to provide necessary information but not too much to overwhelm. As I skimmed over the post, there was plenty of places I wanted to stop and read. Thanks for posting, Claire

3. Thank you so much for sharing information about Scratch and how it is used! During one of my recent practicums, a very innovative teacher at my school developed a Coder Dojo that took place for Year 4 – 6 students on Wednesdays at lunch time. During Coder Dojo, the students used Scratch to create their very own games. The ideas they came up and developed were amazing! Scratch was very “kid friendly” but also allowed they students who were interested in coding to develop and demonstrate their skills. Thank you again for sharing.

4. Wonderful, scratch seems like a awesome way to engage students in coding, as this topic can be quite complicated and difficult without a contextual understanding of what can be created through coding.

Its a great idea that students could present and delivery assignment through the use of scratch, it ticks all the boxes, and students can demonstrate understanding of several topics in one presentation.

5. Thanks for sharing!
    I have not used Scratch in the classroom before but I’m excited to give it a go!
    I have only used simpler coding tools for younger years so using Scratch for the upper primary will be very interesting. I’m looking forward to researching further how to use Scratch for assessment purposes.

I think it’s really important for students to have an easy to follow and engaging tool to learn how to code and program as this is a really complicated skill to grasp. Scratch looks like the perfect way to do this!
    Thank you.