My Design and Technology lesson for Year 5

Hi there!

I taught my Year 5 class how to make a tote bag during my ATP for a sequence of planned lessons which suited the Year 5 Design and Technology curriculum as outline below.

Food and fibre production

People in design and technologies occupations aim to increase efficiency of production systems, or consumer satisfaction of food and natural fibre products (ACTDEK021)

Designing

Develop and communicate alternative solutions, and follow design ideas, using annotated diagrams, storyboards and appropriate technical terms

How did it go?

What fun we had!  The class got so involved in this, especially the boys who outnumbered the girls by 2 to 1 in this class!  From discussing appropriate fabrics, and how something like a shirt or a pair of jeans could be recycled, to documenting the process they were engaged from the start.  Although we did have fabrics available, many of the students bought in their own fun fabrics by getting their parents involved in the process.  A number of parent helpers came in to help me with a lot of the cutting out of the 28 tote bags since we found the cutting out process time consuming.  Students were so quiet and focused during those sewing sessions although threading needles was a challenge!  Don’t be afraid of sessions like this, I had a number of lively active boys in the class and it was great to see them get engaged and creative with the whole process!