MystoryApp: Let your story come to life

Mystory

Subject:  Digital Technologies

Year Level: Years F-2

Strand: Digital Technologies processess and production skills

Sub strand: Using digital systems

2.4 Identify, explore, and use digital systems for personal and classroom needs

Link to the resource:
http://mystoryapp.org

Cross curriculum priorities and general capabilities:

• Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures
  • Sustainability
  • Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia
  • Critical and creative thinking
  • ICT
  • Literacy

Links to other learning areas:

• English
  • The Arts
  • Science
  • History
  • Geography

A classroom activity using this resource:
This application allows students endless opportunities to become creative when constructing a story. I like to use this application for students who find it difficult to retell, whether it be a story, their day at school or a movie they watched. It aims to show them that they all have a sequence of events, that there is always a beginning, middle and end. Some students find it easier to write what they remember, some draw and some communicate it. This application provides students with an opportunity to use their preferred multiple intelligences, in combination with ones they may find a little more difficult.

An example of using MyStory Application was with a Grade 2 class. I discussed the features of a book. That it begins with a cover that includes a title, author and illustrator, then the story has a beginning, middle and ending. I then told the students to listen to the story and try remember the sequence of events that take place. After reading 3 quarters of the story to the children, we discussed as a class the sequence of events so far. I stopped reading just before the ending allowing the students the chance to expose their creative side and decide on an ending they felt seemed appropriate. It was now the students turn to re-tell the story with their own ending through illustrations, text and audio.

The great things about the MyStory application as well is that once the students had finished their re-tells, they then selected to share their stories on MyStory and it sent it through to my  email.  I could then open the students stories up onto the interactive whiteboard to share with the class.

How to use this resource:
Please view the youtube clip below for instructions: