Subject: Digital Technologies
Year Level: 5-6
Strand: Digital Technologies Processes and Production Skills
Sub Strand: Collect, sort, interpret and visually present different types of data using software to manipulate data for a range of purposes (ACTDIP016)
Link to resource:
Geo Board by The Math Learning Centre
Cross curriculum priorities and general capabilities:
Literacy, Numeracy, Information and Communication Technology 9ICT) capability and Critical and creative thinking.
Links to other learning areas:
A classroom activity using this resource:
The traditional Geo Board is used with elastic bands and a 5×5 board with pegs to place the band around. With the ever-growing world of technology, an interactive Geo Board has been created online. This can be used to develop knowledge of shapes, area and perimeter and what I use, transformations. Transformations can be rotated, reflected and translated. In my activity, I asked students to use a iPad or laptop and open to the Geo Board website. Students were t asked to split the board into 4 even quadrants by placing a band through the middle to create the axis (vertically (y) and horizontally (x) ). This created mirror lines. I created a triangle by dragging the bands over the pegs, I then asked the students to reflect the image over the x-axis. I could easily walk through the room and monitor student’s progress as they all have their individual device to work from. Once completed, we moved onto translation; for example, move the triangle 2 units right and 3 units up and rotation; rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise. The board and bands can be changed to your requirements. This is a great resource that I came across online and I believe it can be manipulated and
used to what ever degree you desire.
How to use this resource:
- The Geo Board by The Math Learning Center is an interactive game that is best used with a IWB to assist with a whole class environment and controlled by the teachr.
- The board can be used as a 5×5 or 14×9 board. There are 8 bands to choose from to design your activity. You can create shapes, axis lines and develop mathematic knowledge.
- The board can have base lines along each knob and number if desired. An editing tool is available too.
- Drag a band over the board and place is around the pegs. You can stretch to band anywhere and use multiple bands at the same time.
- Students can copy your design, create their own and share it with the class by designing it on the class board or develop questions with the class board that the students will need to answer on their own device.
- Enjoy the resource, it’s a great interactive way of teaching Mathematics by using ICT.