Paddock to Plate – The Journey of Food

Paddock to Plate: Where does my food come from resource 

This inquiry based resource to food and fibre production and food technologies allows students to investigate the journey of food production in Australia and all over the world. Students understand where their food comes from, how it is processed via farming contexts and how producers/ consumers respond to and influence each other in supply and demand of today’s growing society. This resource provides teachers with a step-by-step learning outcome and activity booklet, questioning and responding power point package and farm to factory printable flashcards. The final presentation will require students to present their own paddock to pate journey using Prezi, power point or any digital resource. Students then reflect on how sustainable their process was, and discuss how they can create a more sustainable food process.

Target year level: Year 3-4

Learning area: Technologies

Strand: Technologies/Design and technologies

Content Description: Design and Technologies Plan a sequence of production steps when making designed solutions individually and collaboratively (ACTDE018)
English Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY 1676)

Learning Outcomes:

• Explore the journey of paddock to plate and the food production industry.
  • Investigate the role of past and present production and food technologies.
  • Learn about the different roles of individuals in the food production industry.
  • Develop an understanding of the sequence of production and processing steps.
  • Consider the difference between short and long food journeys and different foods.
  • Create more sustainable and productive paddock to plate journeys for food items.

Teaching strategies used in resource:

• Think, pair and share
  • Class brainstorm
  • Class discussion
  • Student reflection
  • Classroom games (Quiz chef)

Resource includes:

Resource snapshots

Teacher resource booklet

Power point resource snapshot 

Flash cards resource

Digital resources to accompany Paddock to Plate resource

• http://splash.abc.net.au/res/teacher_res/3-paddock-plate.html
  • http://splash.abc.net.au/home#!/media/106432/vegetable-gardens

You can find the whole resource readily available online here: http://www.primezone.edu.au/item_details.php?item_id=170&item_type=resource&content_list_id=2

8 thoughts on “Paddock to Plate – The Journey of Food

1. Hi KRCOOPER,

I love this idea and the way you have included each section of information. It makes it extremely easy to see how you would implement this into a class room as well as in include other learning ares. i would love to see more inquiry based learning in a classroom. This idea is definitely one I’ll hold onto for future teaching.

Kind Regards,
    Brooke Lazarakis

2. I love how you included the teaching strategies in this blog post, was a really in depth read. I feel like I know exactly what to expect from this resource. This would be an excellent resource to use in cross curricular lessons to health as well: Comparing natural food resources to that of processed material. Looks like a very structured learning program and I love the screenshots you included!

Thank you.

3. I really like your resource choice because it has strong relevance to your students being an Australian agricultural resource.

Allowing students to learn the process of the paddock to pate journey through creating their own journey will give them a deeper understanding of the system (systems thinking).

You could possibly have the students research the lifestyle of a farmer to extend on their knowledge, using a webquest activity.
    Lucas Pereira

4. Hi KRCOOPER,

What a fantastic resource Paddock to plate appears to be. Your blog post is very appealing and well structured. I like the use of pictures to show the readers what the resources looks like when you are using it. I think this resource will be great to show students the journey food goes on before it reaches their plate. This resource looks engaging and may inspire them to learn more. I think this resource can be easily adapted to cater for different needs of the students which is of high importance of me and many other teachers.

Thank you

Emma

5. I really like the way that you have structured the information presented in this blog. The level of information provided is fantastic. I really like how you have included the teaching strategies in the blog as it allows for readers to see what strategies are used in a glance. This helps show where this resource links to teachers strengths.

Cameron

6. Your blog is fantastic! The resource you have shared is great and the way you have constructed your blog is appealing to the reader. The clear title at the top and the effective picture underneath, demonstrates to the reader straight away what your blog is about. The information is clear and concise, therefore the blog is an appropriate length. The titles, headings and subtitles used break the text up with adequate spacing, making it easily readable to the viewer. It is fantastic you provided additional information about what the resource includes and the teaching strategies used. The additional images of the booklets aided this information and provided the viewer with an understanding of what exactly they will receive when using the resource. Fantastic blog and teaching resource, which I’m sure many people will use.

7. What a brilliant way to use digital technologies to teach children about the production of the food they are eating! Thank you for the clever tips on how to implement it within a typical year 3/4 classroom. I love the inquiry based learning approach this resource allows – excellent in encouraging the students fund of knowledge to constantly increase. Great blog post!

8. What a fantastic resource! I am a huge supporter of inquiry based learning, as I feel students have a deeper understanding of the concept when they are involved in the processes themselves. The blog is visually appealing and was very easy to comprehend as you have linked it well with the curriculm and have provided readers with appropriate teacher strategies to use when using the resource.