Kahoot! …is a hoot!

Subject: Digital Technologies

Year Level: 5-6

Strand: Digital Technologies Processes and Production Skills

Sub Strand: Collect, sort, interpret and visually present different types of data using software to manipulate data for a range of purposes (ACTDIP016)

Link to resource:
Student – https://kahoot.it/#/
Teacher – https://getkahoot.com

Cross curriculum priorities and general capabilities:

Literacy, Numeracy, Information and Communication Technology 9ICT) capability and Critical and Creative thinking.

Links to other learning areas:

English

A classroom activity using this resource:

This resource is a great way for students to develop their independence in the classroom, build their social skills and improve their knowledge on given topics. This program allows teacher or student to create a quiz that is interactive, multiple choice and engaging. I found that the best time to offer the quiz to your students is after a topic has being learnt; once assessment has been done to review and reflect on how much was learnt. The quiz can be as many questions as you desire. Images and videos can be added in relation to your quiz question. As a class, the students can verse each other in the quiz to see which individual wins the most points from each question. This can be done in groups or individually. Once the students have learnt the topic, Kahoot can be used as a reward to self reflect. A reward can be given to winning group or student if desired. This program has had positive feedback from the students both verbally and written as they can give you feedback on the quiz once they complete it. This is a great resource to keep in your classroom to develop students understanding on topis and their ICT skills.

How to use this resource:

1. If logging in as a teacher, go to https://getkahoot.com to access the page to design the quiz. If students are completing your quiz they go to https://kahoot.it/#/. When students log in they will type the game login that is created once you complete your quiz. This can be shown up on the IWB for all to see.
  2. Click the ‘Create a Kahoot Quiz’ to begin.
  3. You will then need to start creating your quiz and questions –add images or videos to correspond to the questions. You create a title, description and cover image, privacy, language, audience, sources and intro video.
  4. Then click ‘Go’. You will then start your questions. Add the questions, write possible answers (select the correct answer) and include images or videos. You will select the amount of time your students have to answer the question.
  5. Once completed you can review and edit your quiz until you’re happy to release it to the class room/public.
  6. A game logi pin will be available and this is what you show the students in order to enter the quiz. Students login and create a game name for the session.
  7. Start the quiz, the eacher controls when to move onto the next question, though the Kahoot program controls how long each question is avaible for (depending on how long you selected).
  8. Enjoy this resource!

7 thoughts on “Kahoot! …is a hoot!

1. I really enjoyed reading this post and learning about Kahoot. I have not used this program before but believe this would be a great addition in an upper primary classroom. I love how this resource can be used individually or within small groups allowing children to develop social skills whilst being actively engaged in the learning process. I believe this program would motivate students through friendly competition and would be a great program to use at the end of a learning unit.

The steps for use provided are helpful and informative. Thank you for providing such clear information.

I would love to know more about this app and if given the opportunity would love to implement this on my upcoming practicum where applicable.

Thankyou for sharing this post EAFRIC.

2. I have used this resource a few times now in my teaching experiences, and have had such a positive reaction in the classroom.
    Students love it, and it is such a simple way to reinforce what has been taught and to also see if what you are teaching is actually being understood by all children!

Another great thing about this resource is that there is such a large range of quizzes already there for you, so you don’t have to spend so much time creating your own if you don’t want to.

There is also a great feature on Kahoot where you can conduct a survey, however you may structure it like an assessment. Thestudents participate, are actively involved and then it will organise the results on a spreadsheet for you!

This is such a great resource, thank you for sharing such an informative post about it!

3. Thankyou for sharing this resource!
    This looks like a fantastic way to use technology in the classroom!
    I also love how you have the option to make the quizzes yourself or use the ones that have already been created.
    You have provided heaps of information on a fantastic resource and i cant wait to use this in a classroom setting
    🙂

4. Thanks for such an informative post! I used Kahoot! throughout my last professional practice and the students LOVED it! My mentor and I had such a positive reaction that I started making one per week and taught my mentor how to use it so she could continue this. I love how you can use it in order to practice concepts taught in class or download the results and use it as an assessment tool.

You have provided such easy to follow steps which is great as the two different websites can be a bit confusing when first starting out.

5. Thank you for your summary about this wonderful resource. I have never used it before, however after reading your post, I am definitely intrigued. The support it offers teachers in the classroom as an integral tool for assessment is so appealing. Furthermore, it is an digital variation in implementing revision and assessment, one I prefer to use over standard worksheets.

Is there a feature where students are able to design and implement their own quizzes? I think older students could also use it after they’ve presented or given speeches as well.

Thank you for alerting me to this website, I am definitely going to use it!

6. I have heard so much about Kahoot but have never actually used it. But after reading this informative post and watching some videos on Youtube I am getting really excited to try it out on my next prac. This tool would be perfect as a lesson conclusion to do a Kahoot as a formative assessment on the students knowledge and understanding of a specific topic. I can also see Kahoot being used as Diagnostic assessment before stating a new unit of work.

It seems Kahoot is easy to use by the teacher and the students and that any device can be used.

Your how to use resource is very helpful. I have added a a video for those visual learners that likes to learn visually.

Here is a 5 Minute Guide to Kahoot:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAfnia7-rMk

7. Ive used this resource a few times on my prac. I find it so engaging and motivating for all students to participate! I also find it quite good as a form of diagnostic and formative assessment because you’re able to identify student progress which is amazing! I also love how we are able to create the resource and cater it to our own students learning needs! I definitely will continue to use this amazing resource in the classroom!