Harry P and the Coding Stone

Subject:
Digital Technologies
Year Level: 5-6
Strand: Digital Technologies processes and production skills
Sub strand: Digital Implimentation – Design, modify, follow and represent both diagrammatically, and in written text, simple algorithms (sequence of steps) involving branching (decisions) and iteration(repetition) (ACTDIP019)

Link to the resource
http://store.steampowered.com/app/324190

Cross curriculum priorities and general capabilities
Critical and creative thinking
Information and communication technologies
Numeracy
Literacy

A classroom activity using this resource
CodeSpells is an educational computer game that allows students to learn, develop and practice their coding skills through their ceaseless interest in the magical world. Students are able to create spells and, through coding, determine exactly what they want their spell to do (with unlimited creative possibilities!). CodeSpells and the language used has been designed to suit students of all ages, including those who are completely new to coding and teaches students how to code using Javascipt – however I would recommend this game for upper primary.
As students are able to share their coded spells, classroom activities could include collaborative spell projects where students work together to create specific spells with given criteria. It could be linked with literacy and writing where students are required to write a magical narrative for which they are to code the spells included in their narrative.

How to use this resource
Firstly, CodeSpells must be purchased and downloaded online. Once it is installed, you start by entering the virtual magical world and begin creating your spells. Moving through the magical world you will come across monsters, beasts and enemies that you need to conquer in order to maintain your health and progress up the levels.
Below is a tutorial that gives you an idea of what the game is all about!

10 thoughts on “Harry P and the Coding Stone

1. Hello,

Thank you for sharing this great resource. I love the ability to integrate digital technology with literacy in order to engage all students’ in their learning. Through using this application students’ will be motivated in their learning and develop a deeper, more meaningful understanding of both learning areas.
    As a pre-service teacher I find this resource incredibly useful and relevant and would love to integrate it into my future classroom.

Thank you once again for the detailed description and videos on how to use this learning resource!

2. Hi Emma,

You have shared a great blog post, it is well thought out and provides a large range of information on this chosen resource.

Thank you for making your blog post engaging, I was able to learn so much from all your information as well as your video.

I am keen to use this resource in my classroom as I am sure the students are going to love it!

3. Hey,

Thank you so much for this resource. I am a huge Harry Potter and JK Rowling fan and always looking for ways to implement it into the classroom. Such a creative and exciting world which is portrayed through this resource. Allowing students to create their own spells is wonderful. I noticed you linked this resource to literacy – perhaps the activity could be expanded on with some narrative writing from the point of view of a magic student? The possibilities really are endless!

Thank you.

4. Emma,

This is a fantastic resource and I love how relevant it will be to the children in upper primary classrooms. It is great that it can be integrated across literacy and numeracy. The theme of Harry Potter will allow the students to engage in their learning and have a deeper insight to the technologies curriculum.

I look forward to using this resource in my future classrooms.

Ashleigh

5. I think you have selected a very suitable choice with CodeSpells. The theme of magic and the feature of being able to create the users own spells using code is age appropriate for the years 5-6.

The Code Spells introduction video you posted was very insightful. After watching this I think you could incorporate the “spells wheel” into a science lesson, as their are the fire, water, earth and wind elements being used.
    Lucas Pereria

6. Emma,

This resource is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing! I love that it has the ability to be integrated with literacy and numeracy!

I will definitely be using this resource in my classroom!

Kelsey

7. I have found that kids love harry potter and the theme can be so easily incorporated in the class. the students will love it 🙂

thanks for sharing

8. Hi Emma,
    This is a fantastic resource, thank you for sharing it!
    I agree that this resource would work best for upper primary, this would link well if you had a theme of ‘Harry Potter’ for a term, which also works best for older years.
    It is great that it can intrinsically motivate students to take part in programming activities, removing any anxiety or apprehension that may come with coding. I understand that some students fear completing a coding task wrong and therefore, are less inclined to have a go.

9. This is so great, the Harry Potter references will help the students stay engaged plus it could easily be linked in if you were teaching thematically. I will definitely be using this in the future!

10. Codespells looks like an engaging way to teach coding skills to upper primary students! I think it’s great how you have related it to Harry Potter, it contextualises coding and gives it meaning and relevance to the students.

It is great to see that the program is differentiated to cater for all ability levels- a very important point to consider when selecting resources to use in the classroom.

This looks like a great coding resource to use with upper primary students. Perhaps another one to try could also be Scratch, a program that allows students to code animations, games and stories.

Thank you for sharing this resource.