Book Creator App

Book Creator App is an app which can be used on the iPad. It is suitable for most age groups, however once the student is able to create words it is most appropriate. It is used when creating a story or book, and can be printed through the app also.

Subject: Digital Technologies

Year Level: 2-6

Strand: Digital Technologies processes and production skills

Sub Strand: Designing

Develop, communicate and discuss design ideas through describing, drawing, modeling and/or a sequence of steps

Link to the Resource: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/book-creator-for-ipad-create/id442378070?mt=8

Cross Curriculum Priorities:

• Literacy
  • Numeracy
  • Information and Communication Technology (ICT) capability
  • Critical and creative thinking

Links to Other Learning Areas:

• English
  • History
  • Geography
  • Science

A Classroom Activity Using This Resource

This recourse can be used during any lesson which requires a book or booklet to be created. Students are able to alter the colour, font and look of their book by using the side bar and following the prompts. In a literacy lesson, students could be creating their own narrative and create it through the Book Creator App on their iPad’s so that it can be printed. Students are able to insert illustrations, or draw them too.

How to use this resource

This resource can be easily downloaded through the App Store on iPads used at the school.  Students are able to follow the prompts, or the teacher can connect through the interactive whiteboard for students to follow along also. The app can be used independently or in groups, with little to no teacher modeling, or full teacher control.

11 thoughts on “Book Creator App

1. Hi Lauren,

I love the idea of this app! I think it is really useful that it can be used for majority of year levels. I love how it is possible to print what the student has created as the story becomes concrete to them and they can share the story in front of the class and also show their family very easily this way. The creativity that students can have with this app is fantastic to let their individuality and critical and creative thinking shine through.

It connects so well with many aspects of the curriculum and can easily be used with any learning areas and topic.

Fantastic find, thanks for sharing!

2. This is brilliant Lauren, thank you for sharing. My daughter loves writing books, so I will download this app for her and save the environment by using much less paper.

I will also then implement this in my own classroom one day and incorporate technology and literacy.

Thanks
    Celia

3. Hi Lauren,

This is a fantastic app!! I had the pleasure of using it on my last prac with a year 5 class and they really enjoyed it. I love how simple it is to use.

Regards,
    Amber Burkhalter

4. Hello Lauren,

Thank you for sharing this app. Literacy is very valuable in teaching. And by combining technologies like this app is a valuable lesson plan for all students.

Personally my nine year old loves writing stories. The amount of paper we go through would make any environmentalist cringe. I a definitely downloading this app on her iPad so that she can happily make her little books.

Thank you
    Celia

5. Hi Lauren,

I really like this idea of a book creator as it encourages students to use their design, computational, systematic and creative thinking skills. I love how students get to completely modify and manipulate their books according to how they would like them to be laid out and suited to their interests.
    This program would be perfect for any age group from Year 2 and above, and is a fun and engaging way to incorporate English and creative writing into technologies.
    This site is appropriate for primary students and provides safe technology use.
    It can also be used as a form of assessment in both English and Technologies.

Thank you for sharing this resource I am sure I will use it one day!

Maddison Fish

6. slarkin0

Great post, thank you!

I thoroughly enjoyed this app – I think students would really enjoy creating, designing and manipulating texts. Having a completed digital and paper copy on competition is a great idea as students can really be emerged in the writing and designing process of a text. I will be sure to use this for many learning areas and for all age groups. I think it is a great app that be adapted to all year and skill levels.

Thanks for sharing.

7. Hello Lauren,

I think this is a wonderful idea, students will be encouraged to use their computational thinking skills.
    This would an interesting idea to incorporate into my future lessons on my next practicum.
    It is a good way to incorporate literacy and technology into one lesson.
    This idea is also very good as it can be used from year 2 and up. It has a lot of potential in the class.
    I will certainly be doing some extra research on this program before I use it.

8. Hello Lauren,

Kind regards,

James Stanton

9. Hi Lauren,

Thank you for your detailed description about this app and how it can be effectively used within the classroom. This app is an extremely useful resource to use for students to communicate their ideas if they are unable to write them down. This allows the teacher to focus on the content that is being assessed rather than the students writing ability.

Thank you for sharing,

Lanna.

10. Hey Lauren!

This app looks amazing and I will definitely be using it in my future classroom! The way you have outlined the app and explained how it can be used in the classroom is fantastic! I think it is a great tool for communication between the teacher and the student!

Kelsey

11. Hello,

This is such a great tool that I have seen implemented in schools. It is extremely helpful for children to communicate their own ideas if then can not write them.

THANKS