Webonauts- Web Safety

Webonauts

Subject: Technologies

Year Level: 3/4

Strand: Digital Technologies

Sub Strands:  

• Process and Production Skills
  • Knowledge and Understanding

Content Descriptors Examples:

• Identify and practise strategies to promote health, safety and wellbeing (ACPPS036)
  • Identify and explore a range of digital systems with peripheral devices for different purposes, and transmit different types of data (ACTDIK007)

Cross Curriculum Priorities and General Capabilities:

• Critical and Creative Thinking
  • Information and Communication Technology

Links To Other Learning Areas:

• Health

Platform: PC

Cost: Free

Link to Webonauts Website

Overview:

Webonauts is a hands on and entertaining game that allows students to explore the web-infused and information rich world. It teaches students good citizenship: identity‚ privacy‚ credibility and web safety. It is a useful as a warm-up activity to a unit on cyber-safety and online impact.

3 thoughts on “Webonauts- Web Safety

1. Hi Jethrid – sounds like you have found a helpful resource! However, what do students do on this? Is it an app for an I-pad or the laptop? Thanks 🙂

2. Wow, what a great resource! Teaching students about web safety is so important, especially in this day and age. Children today are born into a world of technology and have assess to so many different platforms online (Social media). Tackling this problem at an early age is a great way to educate students to make smarter decisions later in life. It’s not only an engaging and fun activity for the student to participate in, but they are also at the same time learning vital life skills. I strongly believe that this is how learning should be.

3. Great resource, It would be interesting to see if there was a game of some sort pitched at a much lower level for say 4-5 year olds. I think that teaching them earlier about the importance of cyber safety is critical as I know that young kids can often accidentally end up online when playing their games. I love the fact that this is also in game format rather than just lecturing students about it!