Minecraft and Computational Thinking

Minecraft is interesting from lots of different perspectives. It is a familiar and engaging gaming platform where  kids can spend hours building and modifying virtual worlds. Whilst doing things that they consider to be entertainment they are inadvertently learning key computational thinking skills.
Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 7.52.09 PM

What is Computational Thinking?

“Computational thinking is a way humans solve problems; it is not trying to get humans to think like computers. Computers are dull and boring; humans are clever and imaginative. We humans make computers exciting. Equipped with computing devices, we use our cleverness to tackle problems we would not dare take on before the age of computing and build systems with functionality limited only by our imaginations; ” Jeanette M Wing

Minecraft happens to be a fantastic sandbox game to explore computational thinking. Minecraft provides a platform in which 21st century literacy skills can be explored and developed to cater for the learning objectives in the Australian Technology Curriculum. Educators have the option to utilise the existing user interface or subscribe to the new and improved Minecraft:Education Edition which makes implementing this amazing learning tool into your existing curriculum as easy as clicking on a mouse.

Using Minecraft as an Educational Tool 

Read on further to discover how Minecraft can address the four cornerstones of computation thinking and the lesson plans offered in the Minecraft: Education Edition!

Decomposition

• Going on mining expeditions to find mineshafts and collecting minecarts and tracks.
  • Finding sheep and shearing them to collect wool (which included crafting shears)
  • Finding plants that give purple and magenta dyes
  • Dying the wool in his chosen colours
  • Storing collected items in a chest near the roller-coaster site until needed
  • Planning and building the roller-coaster.

Abstraction and Pattern Recognition

Minecraft users will learn how to filter out unneccessary information and extract the relevant information needed to complete a task. Exploring these concepts will allow kids to develop  research and reflective practices needed to participate in the game in a more efficient and productive manner.

•  understand what makes an iron sword similar to a stone sword and what makes it different.
  • evaluate the similarities and differences of creepers and towns people to ensure survival of their Minecraft character.

Algorithms

Minecraft’s game play is dependent on algorithms. Although most users will not recognise the technical aspects of an algorithm the understanding of  how the virtual world works exposes them to many forms of algorithmic sequencing. Below are a few examples of  how Minecraft have seamless introduced the 21st learner into the realm of algorithms!

• Day and night cycles in the virtual worlds
  • How tools are created and broken
  • Sequential steps needed to be followed to create items  needed to develop the users own virtual world

Lesson Plans offered within the Minecraft: Education Edition

Ages 5-9

Subject: Digital Technologies

Year Level: 3-12

Strand:Digital Technologies processes and production skills

Sub strand:Using digital systems

4.4 Use a range of digital systems and peripherals for diverse purposes, and transmit different types of data

Link to the resource

Cross curriculum priorities and general capabilities
Literacy (LIT), Critical and creative thinking (CCT), Personal and social capability (PSC), Information and Communication Technology (ICT)

Links to other learning areas
English, History, Geography, Math

4 thoughts on “Minecraft and Computational Thinking

1. I’ve read very good things about Minecraft’s use in schools to encourage the use of teamwork and to encourage computational thinking skills. The site has an array of ready made lessons plans to build upon which is an added bonus.

2. I like the way you have written your blog, I find it very easy to follow. I don’t know a lot about Minecraft, however I feel I could refer to this if I need assistance in the future. Thanks for sharing!

3. Thank you for posting such an informative post! Minecraft is something I have little experience with so it was an interesting read. It is also visually appealing and really drew me in.