Kate Jackson resource 1: Wordle

Task 2 DTM 4260: Digital technologies.

Resource: Wordle

Years: 3/4

ACARA strand: processes and production skills

ACARA substrand: (ACTDIP009). ‘collect access and present different types of data using simple software to create information.’

link to resource: http://www.wordle.net

cross curricular priorities:

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures.

Sustainability

Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia.

links to other learning areas:

English

The Arts

Humanities and Social Science.

About the resource:

Wordle is an application on the web to create word maps/ clouds about a specific topic. The cloud can be specifically made by the teacher and or the students to help memorise specific information. words within the cloud can be manipulated with different colours, sizes and fonts to ensure the most important information is seen on the cloud.

Once the application has been created students can then print the cloud out to view around the classroom or they can set it to their screen saver on their laptop or iPad.

How can I implement this resource into my classroom?

I would implement the word cloud within the classroom to enable this as a study tool for English and Humanities and Social Science. The word cloud will extend the students vocabulary choosing different adjectives and nouns to use when writing.

3 thoughts on “Kate Jackson resource 1: Wordle

1. I have heard of Wordle before, but have never been able to use it before on prac as I was unsure as how to use it. After reading through your blog post I feel more confident to use it and how it works.
    Thanks!

2. What a great web application. I had never heard of Wordle before but after reading your blog post I now feel confident to use it in the classroom! I love how it is so cross curricular and can be integrated in a variety of ways. Thanks for sharing Kate!

3. This sounds like a really simple but effective tool! I will definitely be researching this one to use in future classrooms. I can imagine it could be used also in Art.