3rd World Farmer

Resource: 3rd World Farmer

3rd
Description: 3rd World Farmer is an interactive game where you must make decisions on how best to manage a farm based in a third world country. The user must make decisions on how to best spend their money to build their farm with no knowledge of what disasters await. There are multiple strategies that can be used to yield the best return for your investment and there is no one right way to achieve success.

Subject: Technologies
Strand: Design and Technologies
Sub-Strand: Design and Technologies Processes and Production Skills

Negotiate criteria for success that include consideration of sustainability to evaluate design ideas, processes and solutions (ACTDEP027)
Year Levels: 5-6

Link to Resource: http://3rdworldfarmer.com/

Cross-Curriculum Priorities: Sustainability.

General Capabilities: Literacy, Numeracy, Information and Communication Technology Capabilities (ICT), Critical and Creating thinking, Personal and Social Capabilities Ethical Understandings and Intercultural Understandings.

Links to other Learning Areas: Mathematics, Humanities and Social Sciences.

Review: I believe this game could be used effectively in the classroom as it not only activates students critical thinking skills, it is also a platform to begin open ended discussions about ethical and intercultural problems within our global community. Students are also forced to make critical decisions with no knowledge of the eventual outcomes. This encourages students to reflect on any failures and informs their future thinking.

There is also a range of mathematics embedded throughout the game. This may appeal to gifted and talented students as mathematical understanding can be used to gain small advantages during the game. This game appears to have strong links to Facebook so teachers need to follow teaching standard 4.5 (Use ICT safely, responsibly and ethically) appropriately when using this resource.

Screenshots:

3rd2
References:
Australiancurriculum.edu.au,. (2015). Home – The Australian Curriculum v7.5. Retrieved 10 August 2015, from http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/

3rdworldfarmer.com,. (2015). 3rd World Farmer: A simulation to make you think.. Retrieved 10 August 2015, from http://3rdworldfarmer.com/

2 thoughts on “3rd World Farmer

1. I found this blog particularly useful, it is great to have a personal review from having used it while also having the formal links and suggestions that make it easy to understand how this resource would work in the classroom and benefit students.

I found it especially useful having the references so that I could find more information for myself. The many elements of this post were very useful and very well organised to allow for a lot of information to be processed easily.

Thanks!

2. This is such a great post! I found it so useful and clear. I particularly liked how you gave your own review of the resource as well as providing the technical and basis information that was needed. The references were also a very useful addition that allowed for further research. A lot of information that was well organised and very easy to follow, thank you!