Fact Monster – Google for Kids

Name: Fact Monster

Link: http://www.factmonster.com/

Description: Fact Monster is a website run by the Family Education Network. From the website you can choose a subject to explore including sports, entertainment, geography, history, biography, education and health. It is designed like a search engine for kids and contains an encyclopaedia, games, quizzes and research tools.

fact monster

Subject: Technology

Strand:  Digital Technology, Knowledge and Understanding

Year Level:   F – 7

Cross Curricular Priorities: Sustainability

General Capabilities:

• Information and Communication Technology (ICT)
    • Applying social and ethical protocols and practices when using ICT
    • Investigating with ICT
    • Creating with ICT
    • Communicating with ICT
  • Creative and Critical Thinking
    • Inquiring – identifying, exploring and organising information and ideas
    • Generating ideas, possibilities and actions
    • Reflecting on thinking and processes
    • Analysing, synthesising and evaluating reasoning and procedures

Links to Other Learning Areas:

• English
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • Humanities and Social Sciences
  • The Arts
  • Health and Physical Education
  • ICT

How this is useful:

Fact Monster is useful as it allows students to explore the web without stumbling across anything they shouldn’t see. It is a website which is monitored and has information that is explained in simple terms. In the classroom I would allow my students to browse Fact Monster rather than Google to limit the time wasting and potential procrastination.

6 thoughts on “Fact Monster – Google for Kids

1. This seems like an awesome resource Taylah! I think it is great that this can be used without the teacher’s close supervision. There is just too much stuff on the internet we do not want students seeing these days!

Awesome that it provides students with specific information. I feel this would work well in say yr 4-5 when they are doing lots of report writing.

Awesome resource and well done for posting! LOVE IT!

2. I think this resource is fantastic for primary students so they can have directed research on topics related to the Australian Curriculum without unnecessary advertisements or information.

CaitlynB

3. This seems to be a valuable resource to use in class!

I think it would be a great resource for students who finish their work earlier and need to be extended.

Tayla Gentle

4. This seems like a great resource that encourages students to direct their own learning and level of inquiry. I like the idea that students are able to research facts and informations, as well as complete activities, games and quizzes.

I like the idea of the information on this resource being censored, as it will keep students on task.

Great find!

5. This seems like a great resource that encourages students to direct their own learning and level of inquiry. I like the idea that students are able to research facts and informations, as well as complete activities, games and quizzes.

Great find!

– Heather

6. I really like this resource as it encourages students to not only direct their own learning but be safe online while doing so!
    This can be a great resource for inquiry based learning projects and homework research tasks.
    It also teaches students how to use search engines and certain webpages through learning by doing.

Well done, good resource.